Wal-Mart announced last week that they plan on closing 269 stores across America and globally. The locations decision includes Wal-Mart Supercenters and Sam’s Clubs as well.
According to Wal-Mart, seven stores in Georgia will be closing by January 28th.
These locations are:
- Store #4228: 560 S. Broad St., Ellaville, GA
- Store #4229: 1041 S US Hwy 1, Alma, GA
- Store #155 West Washington Ave., Ashburn, GA
- Store #4251: 398 Barrow Ave SW, Pelham, GA
- Store #4254: 907 Marianna Hwy, Donalsonville, GA
- Store #4261: 290 Albany Ave. West Pearson, GA
- Store #4263 S. Valdosta Road, Lakeland, GA
The president and CEO, Doug McMillion says, “the move is the retail’s giant attempt to ensure assets were aligned with strategy.”
“Closing stores is never an easy decision, but it is necessary to keep the company strong and positioned for the future. It’s important to remember that we’ll open well more than 300 stores around the world next year.”
Most of the displaced workers will move to nearby stores and if that’s not possible, Wal-Mart will provide 60 days of pay, resume and interview training and severance, if eligible.