Earlier this week, Simon Lenox Square announced that it will be cancelling the 58 year old fireworks show for the 4th of July.
Many people were surprised to hear this announcement since so many people attend each year. Officials says the cancellation was due to partnering with Centennial Olympic Park’s celebration and focusing on reviving downtown.
Others online believe this is an excuse and Simon doesn’t want to pay for the fireworks that cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars that has no return on their investment and some believe too many neighbors complained.
Either way the Buckhead tradition is over for now. Lenox Square will provide a “generous donation” to Centennial Olympic Park.
Robin Suggs, Lenox Square’s general manager, said in a press release: “By partnering with Centennial Olympic Park, which is only nine miles away, we can deliver an even better experience for everyone involved and provide much needed operational relief to the City of Atlanta during a very busy holiday.”
Luckily I had the opportunity to see the final show at Lenox Square last year.
— Lenox Square Mall (@LenoxSqMall) July 5, 2016